Ilfracombe High Street plans still on the table
A public consultation on proposals to close the High Street to traffic looks on the cards as efforts continue on a draft scheme.
THE idea of a partial or temporary closure of Ilfracombe High Street to traffic is still being considered.
A task group of town and district councillors, the North Devon Plus Joint Delivery Team and local business people are putting a proposal together.
Town Councillor John Swan said it was hoped Devon County Council would review the plan initially and if it seemed workable the scheme would then be put out for public consultation.
Ideas being considered for “pedestrianising” the High Street included something along the lines of a summer scheme that operates at Tenby in Pembrokeshire.
There, the town centre is closed to traffic during part of the day in the summer months and is now a regular feature in its calendar.
- 1 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 2 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 3 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 4 War hero, SWW champion and author Tony dies at 97
- 5 Exercise the 'chuckle muscle' with comedian Jason Manford
- 6 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 7 Chance at last to sing along with the Winkleigh Singers
- 8 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 9 How can we celebrate Queen's Platinum?
- 10 MP Selaine Saxby: Violence against women and girls