Ilfracombe High Street plans still on the table
A public consultation on proposals to close the High Street to traffic looks on the cards as efforts continue on a draft scheme.
THE idea of a partial or temporary closure of Ilfracombe High Street to traffic is still being considered.
A task group of town and district councillors, the North Devon Plus Joint Delivery Team and local business people are putting a proposal together.
Town Councillor John Swan said it was hoped Devon County Council would review the plan initially and if it seemed workable the scheme would then be put out for public consultation.
Ideas being considered for “pedestrianising” the High Street included something along the lines of a summer scheme that operates at Tenby in Pembrokeshire.
You may also want to watch:
There, the town centre is closed to traffic during part of the day in the summer months and is now a regular feature in its calendar.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 7 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 8 Bideford's Millbrook Dairy awarded its first star at Great Taste Awards
- 9 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 10 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's