Ilfracombe High Street plans still on the table
A public consultation on proposals to close the High Street to traffic looks on the cards as efforts continue on a draft scheme.
THE idea of a partial or temporary closure of Ilfracombe High Street to traffic is still being considered.
A task group of town and district councillors, the North Devon Plus Joint Delivery Team and local business people are putting a proposal together.
Town Councillor John Swan said it was hoped Devon County Council would review the plan initially and if it seemed workable the scheme would then be put out for public consultation.
Ideas being considered for “pedestrianising” the High Street included something along the lines of a summer scheme that operates at Tenby in Pembrokeshire.
You may also want to watch:
There, the town centre is closed to traffic during part of the day in the summer months and is now a regular feature in its calendar.
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 3 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 4 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 5 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 6 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 7 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 8 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 9 Barnstaple firm develops new anti-Covid alloy to replace stainless steel
- 10 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton