Ilfracombe getting ready to sparkle for Diamond Jubilee
Town has a packed programme of events to mark the 60th year of the Queen’s reign.
ILFRACOMBE is celebrating the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee with a packed programme of events including street parties and a massed photograph on the side of Capstone.
All in the town are getting ready to pull out all the stops to ensure everyone remembers the 60th anniversary of the monarch’s reign over the bank holiday weekend of June 1-5.
A variety of events for all ages includes a Jubilee Picnic in the Park on Saturday, June 2 at Bicclescombe Park from 11am-5pm. This will include free junior tennis run by Ilfracombe Tennis Club plus junior Jubilee Tennis Tournaments, swingball and other traditional park games available on the greens. Other events and activities are also planned.
The Landmark Theatre will be bursting with Union flag bunting throughout the weekend, with a Jubilee Beer and Music Festival from Saturday through to Tuesday, with live music from a host of local bands.
You may also want to watch:
From 2pm on Saturday Make the Move youth drama group will be hosting a family fun day on the Landmark Lawn and that evening there will be an open air Jubilee Jukebox Jamboree concert commemorating 60 years of music from 7pm.
On Sunday a spectacular sight is being organised by Ilfracombe Rotary with all invited to a gathering on Capstone at 12 noon to spell out E 11 R 2012 and take part in a community photo.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 8 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 9 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 10 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
On Monday there is a walking Royal Fancy Dress Parade from Wilder Road car park at 12 noon, through Church Street and High Street to Fore Street. The event is being organised by Ilfracombe High Street Traders.
Following the parade there will be a street party in Fore Street will be closed and local businesses are being invited join the festivities with music and entertainment.
Town Crier Roy Goodwin and members of the Ilfracombe Victorian Celebrations will be out and about throughout Jubilee weekend in full costume.
To find out more about Ilfracombe’s Diamond Jubilee Celebrations or to download a programme, go to www.visitilfracombe.co.uk.