Fire crews were called to reports of a fire at Berry Down on Wednesday evening.

A FIRE engine from Ilfracombe was called to reports of a chimney fire at Berry Down, near Combe Martin yesterday (Wed).

When they arrived at the scene at around 8.50pm fire fighters found the fire was out.

They inspected the flue and back plate of a wood burner using a thermal imaging camera which identified some hot spots.

These were dampened down using a stirrup pump and small tools to cut away.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.