Ilfracombe club seeks old members to celebrate golden year
AS the Ilfracombe Sub Aqua Club approaches 50 years of diving, the members have realised that they have a golden opportunity to compile a definitive history of the club, but they will need help. To that end they are appealing to past members or anyone w
AS the Ilfracombe Sub Aqua Club approaches 50 years of diving, the members have realised that they have a golden opportunity to compile a definitive history of the club, but they will need help.
To that end they are appealing to past members or anyone who has knowledge, stories etc about the club's activities in its 50 years of existence.
In 1960 the mystery of the underwater world brought together a small body of people in North Devon who, after discussion, held an inaugural meeting in the Railway Hotel, Ilfracombe, and formed the Ilfracombe and North Devon Sub Aqua Club.
Two months later by a unanimous decision the club joined the emerging British Sub Aqua Club to become the 80th branch of what is now the biggest diving club in the world and the governing body for the sport, with more than 1,100 branches.
You may also want to watch:
The Ilfracombe club has lost touch with the majority of the 13 founder members and is hoping that an appeal will reunite those still living.
"We would also like any ex-members to get in contact as we will be holding a special prestigious "Golden" anniversary dinner in April next year and would like to have an exhibition of the club's history on show," said the club chairman Steve Ashton.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 6 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 7 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 8 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 9 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising
The club is especially interested in dive log book entries, artefacts, old equipment, any stories, pictures, film and memorabilia that would enhance the club's history and could be compiled to make an interesting DVD of the club's first half century.
First contact should be by e-mail to Melanie Greville at email@example.com or phone 07775501198
The Ilfracombe club is now one of the largest and most active in the country and will be offering "Try Dives" for anyone interested to train through the winter months so that they can explore the fantastic underwater world that is on our doorstep.
They will take place most weekends, starting mid-September, in South Molton, Woolacombe and Ilfracombe. Please contact Chris Hewitt firstname.lastname@example.org to book your place on one of these.
In the meantime the club is hoping to receive as much information as possible about their missing history.