Ilfracombe celebrates Verity switch on
Pictures; Crowds gather for the Party on the Pier on Friday.
CROWDS gathered in Ilfracombe on Friday night for the eagerly awaited illumination of Verity.
The free Party on the Pier saw a crowd of more than a thousand people brave the odd heavy showers to watch one of the final pieces in the installation of Damien Hirst’s 67 foot bronze statue fall into place.
The switch on honour was given over to Charmain Lovett and Carol Turner of North Devon Theatres, who were staunch supporters of Verity in the campaign for planning permission, plus Glenn Borthwick, his wife Karen plus daughters Erin and Connie.
Glenn set up the Facebook group ‘We are from Ilfracombe and we want Damien’s statue’ which was a major catalyst for the Verity campaign.
You may also want to watch:
The subtle lighting was switched on to a rousing cheer just before 7pm and a firework display followed.
The event was organised by councillors, officers and volunteers.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 8 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 9 Teams needed for Appledore RNLI Boat Pull
- 10 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
Councillor Phil Webb, chairman of Ilfracombe Marketing Group, said he thought the night had gone incredibly well: “All the comments I have heard from those who attended have said what a fantastic night it was,” he said.
“I think it is great all the costs were covered by donations from local businesses and organisations such as Rotary and Round Table, so not a penny of public money was spent.”
* Why not send your Verity lighting pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org
* CLICK on the gallery link to the top right of this page to see more pictures from the night.