Ilfracombe Carnival organisers to step down
St John Ambulance calls on new organisers to take over after ending its four decade association with the August carnival.
ILFRACOMBE St John Ambulance is calling for a new organiser to take on the running of the town carnival as it decides to call it a day after 40 years.
The charity says it needs to focus on its priorities of delivering emergency medical cover at public events and first aid training in the area.
Last week it was reported the South West Birdman and Rescue Day events run by Ilfracombe Round Table had been cancelled.
St John volunteers fear the branch would lose money if it continues to organise the late August carnival due to the cost of complying with road closures and red tape.
You may also want to watch:
Plus the retirement of older committee members has left the charity struggling to meet all the requests it gets to provide training and first aid cover.
“We are very disappointed to have reached this decision but we cannot put ourselves in a position where we just cannot provide the resources any longer,” said Sue Ayre, Divisional Superintendent for Ilfracombe.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 9 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
“We felt it was right the community are made aware of the decision as soon as possible, with the hope another group or organisation may wish consider arranging the carnival procession in the future.
“We want to thank the many sponsors and supporters that have helped us over the years and hope to continue to be involved in providing first aid cover, should the new organisers want us to.
“We are happy to help anyone who wishes to take over the running of the event and pass on any advice we can.”
St John Ambulance will arrange a separate fund raising event during the year to raise money for the unit.
Anyone interested in taking over the running of Ilfracombe Carnival can contact 01271 862584.