Ilfracombe Carnival is ready to roll
- Credit: Archant
Don’t miss one of the main annual events in the town on Thursday, August 22.
ILFRACOMBE Carnival is fighting fit and ready to roll on Thursday of next week (August 22) say organisers.
Costumed revellers and colourful floats will gather at Brimlands by the swimming pool from around 6pm, with judging at 6.30pm and the parade moving off at 7pm.
There were fears the popular event might be cancelled after St John Ambulance announced at the end of last year that it could no longer run it and had to focus on its main role of first aid training and cover.
But with support from other local organisations, Ilfracombe Marketing Group stepped in to make sure carnival continued.
You may also want to watch:
“Groups around the town such as Rotary, Lions and Round Table have come together to make carnival happens after we thought it would be cancelled. Just goes to show what we can do in Ilfracombe,” said Barbara Clarke of the carnival committee and marketing group.
Committee member Marc Newland added: “We have been overwhelmed with sponsorship and support from local businesses who have put their hands in their pockets even at this difficult time to make sure that carnival goes ahead.”
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 3 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 4 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 7 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 8 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 9 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 10 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
Much remains the same - the parade will make its way to the High Street, down Northfield Road and along the seafront.
There will be activities, music, entertainment, bouncy castles, stalls and much more on the seafront from 2pm onwards.
All proceeds from the event go to North Devon Hospice.
Entry forms are available from Alan Jackson Shoe Repairs and Tinker Tailor Party Shop in the High Street or Ilfracombe Tourist Information Centre.