Ilfracombe Carnival is ready to roll
- Credit: Archant
Don’t miss one of the main annual events in the town on Thursday, August 22.
ILFRACOMBE Carnival is fighting fit and ready to roll on Thursday of next week (August 22) say organisers.
Costumed revellers and colourful floats will gather at Brimlands by the swimming pool from around 6pm, with judging at 6.30pm and the parade moving off at 7pm.
There were fears the popular event might be cancelled after St John Ambulance announced at the end of last year that it could no longer run it and had to focus on its main role of first aid training and cover.
But with support from other local organisations, Ilfracombe Marketing Group stepped in to make sure carnival continued.
You may also want to watch:
“Groups around the town such as Rotary, Lions and Round Table have come together to make carnival happens after we thought it would be cancelled. Just goes to show what we can do in Ilfracombe,” said Barbara Clarke of the carnival committee and marketing group.
Committee member Marc Newland added: “We have been overwhelmed with sponsorship and support from local businesses who have put their hands in their pockets even at this difficult time to make sure that carnival goes ahead.”
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 8 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 9 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
Much remains the same - the parade will make its way to the High Street, down Northfield Road and along the seafront.
There will be activities, music, entertainment, bouncy castles, stalls and much more on the seafront from 2pm onwards.
All proceeds from the event go to North Devon Hospice.
Entry forms are available from Alan Jackson Shoe Repairs and Tinker Tailor Party Shop in the High Street or Ilfracombe Tourist Information Centre.