Ilfracombe boy closer to the stars
YOUNG astronomer Harvey Price from Ilfracombe will be getting closer to the stars after winning the hugely popular J and A Cameras telescope competition, run in the Gazette to celebrate the opening of their new shop in Bideford High Street.
The competition, which was run in the newspaper and on the website in association with OVL Ltd, the UK distributor for SkyWatcher, attracted hundreds of entries.
Ilfracombe Junior School pupil Harvey, five, has received a new SkyWatcher Heritage 130P Dobsonium telescope, ideal for beginners to stargazing and astronomy, after his dad Nick won the competition. Nick’s entry was chosen at random from those who correctly named the missing planet from the list as Uranus.
Young Harvey is obsessed with stargazing and particularly with the ringed planet Saturn, said his mum Jodie. It all started with watching Wonders of the Universe and went from there.
“The first thing hHarvey said when we told him he had won was ‘now I can look at Saturn.’ It’s a really good telescope, so he will be able to see it and the other planets,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
Sarah Martin, manager of the new J and A Cameras shop at 10, High Street, Bideford, said: “Thank you to everyone who entered the competition. Those who missed out on the prize will find even more bargains on telescopes and cameras if they call into our new store, with telescopes starting from �49.99. We are also currently offering half price telescope tuition vouchers.”
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 5 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 New ‘inside-out’ art gallery coming to Ilfracombe
- 8 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Tesco launches ‘Buy One to Help A Child’ in North Devon