I lived in Taw Vale
In his letter “It wasn’t just me...” (Opinion, February 27) Councillor Brian Greenslade suggests that because I live in Ilfracombe I shouldn’t have views on the Taw Vale situation.
I moved to Ilfracombe six years ago to be closer to work. Before then I lived in Taw Vale for four years as a tenant of Karen Laird who supported the closure and gets a mention in other letters in this issue.
Before that, I lived in Newport Road next to the Ganges Restaurant, another part of Barnstaple that was blighted by diverting traffic away.
Admittedly Taw Vale was closed to traffic after I moved, but as Robin Harman says in his letter, not only is Taw Vale wide, it has an unusually wide pavement beside the river wall complete with cycle lane.
It would become congested in the rush hours, but with the opening of the new bridge much of that traffic has been diverted around the town centre.
You may also want to watch:
Sorry Karen, I think being able to sit on your balcony above a traffic-free Taw Vale is expecting too much – the return of some traffic won’t spoil your view of the river and the leisure centre.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes