I lived in Taw Vale
In his letter “It wasn’t just me...” (Opinion, February 27) Councillor Brian Greenslade suggests that because I live in Ilfracombe I shouldn’t have views on the Taw Vale situation.
I moved to Ilfracombe six years ago to be closer to work. Before then I lived in Taw Vale for four years as a tenant of Karen Laird who supported the closure and gets a mention in other letters in this issue.
Before that, I lived in Newport Road next to the Ganges Restaurant, another part of Barnstaple that was blighted by diverting traffic away.
Admittedly Taw Vale was closed to traffic after I moved, but as Robin Harman says in his letter, not only is Taw Vale wide, it has an unusually wide pavement beside the river wall complete with cycle lane.
It would become congested in the rush hours, but with the opening of the new bridge much of that traffic has been diverted around the town centre.
You may also want to watch:
Sorry Karen, I think being able to sit on your balcony above a traffic-free Taw Vale is expecting too much – the return of some traffic won’t spoil your view of the river and the leisure centre.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 3 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 4 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 5 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 6 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 7 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 8 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 9 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising
- 10 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford