Hundreds attend funeral of North Devon soldier
HUNDREDS of people stood outside St Peter s Church, West Buckland, today (Friday) where the funeral of North Devon soldier Chris King took place. The village church was packed with family members and army colleagues of Chris, 20, who died in Helmund Prov
HUNDREDS of people stood outside St Peter's Church, West Buckland, today (Friday) where the funeral of North Devon soldier Chris King took place.
The village church was packed with family members and army colleagues of Chris, 20, who died in Helmund Province, Afghanistan, when an improvised explosive device went off while he was on foot patrol.
Those who could not get in to the service were able to hear it on loudspeakers outside. They included members of the Royal British Legion and villagers, who remembered Chris as a friendly boy who loved his job in the army.
Earlier in the day a small crowd stood in Barnstaple Square to pay their respects as the hearse carrying the Union Jack-draped coffin drove past on its way to West Buckland.
You may also want to watch:
The funeral service was conducted by the Vicar of Swimbridge and West Buckland, the Rev Preb Peter Bowers. Tributes were paid by an army officer and Christopher's father, Dave King, among others.
Afterwards colleagues from the Coldstream Guards fired a salute before the young soldier was buried in a grave close to the village war memorial in the churchyard.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 4 Staff at Wimpy Barnstaple receive special bonus
- 5 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby receives parliamentary promotion
- 7 Dignitaries formally open Penrose Almshouses in Barnstaple
- 8 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 9 Mercy for Lynton farm shop keeper who grew cannabis
- 10 Extinction Rebellion celebrate Big Green Week in Barnstaple