How to drug proof your kids
THE North Devon ‘Drug Proof your Kids’ team is this autumn running drug and alcohol awareness programmes for parents and carers of children aged eight years and over.
Team spokesman Roger Bartlett said: “At DPYK North Devon, we believe that prevention is so much better than cure when it comes to substance misuse and that a parent is the single most important influence on a child’s life. The course, which has been delivered to more than 240 local parents so far, aims to equip parents to steer their children away from the harmful use of drugs, including alcohol.”
The team, which is working closely with local schools, is initially running a series of free taster sessions, which are open to all and run for 60 to 90 minutes. These are intended to be a relaxed and light hearted opportunity for parents to find out about some of the issues that we looked at on the courses and also to find out how much they know, or think they know about drugs and alcohol.
The taster sessions will take place at: Braunton Community College drama hall at 7.30pm on Tuesday, September 27; Gorwell Community Centre at 7.30pm on Wednesday, September 28; Pilton Community College reception hall at 7.30pm on Monday, October 17; and Park School at 7pm on Tuesday, October 18.
The full six-week courses are to be held at Braunton Community College library, starting Tuesday, October 4 at 7.30pm and at the Tarka Tennis Centre in Barnstaple, starting Wednesday, November 2 at 7.30pm. These courses cost �15 per person, although concessionary rates are available on request.
You may also want to watch:
To find out more visit website www.dpyknorthdevon.co.uk or call the course booking line on (01271) 336271.
- 1 Two vehicle crash near South Molton – Link Road blocked
- 2 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 3 Barnstaple Enterprise Hub 'Node' launches to support local businesses
- 4 Cook book to help in Afghanistan produced in South Molton
- 5 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 6 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 7 Swimbridge Christmas Arts and Crafts Fair returns for 2021
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 Holsworthy solicitor praised by guide to UK’s top lawyers
- 10 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre