Hotel owners urged to visit fire safety events
- Credit: Archant
The free events have been put on by Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue after a number of high profile fires across the South West.
A SERIES of free events will be held across North Devon for hotel and guesthouse owners to learn about fire safety.
The events were being held in the wake of a number of high profile fires across the South West which had resulted in loss of life, business losses and court cases.
Bideford station manager Graham Rooke said he hoped to get as many hotels and guesthouses to attend the events in Bideford, Barnstaple, Ilfracombe, Holsworthy, Crediton and Okehampton as possible.
He said: “We want to give these business owners the information they need to comply with legislation.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ll also show them the effects of fire; how devastating it can be and how quickly it can spread.
“The events are free and so far we have about 200 people booked into them but we would like to spread the word and get as many as possible to attend.”
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 A361 Link Road closed after three vehicle crash
- 6 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 7 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 10 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
Last year the owners of Bideford hotel, Tantons, were fined £40,000 at Exeter Crown Court for breaching fire safety regulations.
The events will feature a short presentation on the requirements imposed by legislation and guidance on how to satisfy these.
Hoteliers will then have a chance to ask any questions they might have.
“Remember, you are responsible for the health, safety and welfare of all persons that use or work in your premises,” said Graham.
The first event will be held on February 6 from 2pm-4pm at the Caddsdown Business Support Centre in Bideford.
In Holsworthy an event will take place on February 19 from 2pm to 4pm at the Holsworthy Memorial Hall.
On February 13 Ilfracombe’s landmark theatre will host an event from 10.30am-12.30pm.
In Barnstaple an event will be held on February 20 at Petroc from 2pm-4pm.
Another two events will also be held in Okehampton on February 12, 2pm-4pm at the fire station and at Crediton on February 5 from 2pm-4pm at the fire station.