Hospital staff are on song for chemo appeal
Ward sisters’ new choir ready for debut performance.
SINGING sisters are doing it for themselves with the launch of a hospital choir inspired by Gareth Malone and his chart-topping Military Wives Choir.
The North Devon District Hospital choral group was only formed in December last year but already boasts 36 members, all of whom work in different departments at the Barnstaple hospital.
The initial idea came from Capner ward sister Angela Walter, who, despite confessing to being ‘no singer’ herself, wanted to do something to bring people together and have fun raising money for local charities.
Angela asked Fortescue ward manager and local amateur dramatic performer Andrea Bell to be the group’s musical director and the Hospital Choir was born.
You may also want to watch:
Now, with Angela in charge of organisation and Andrea running the musical side of things, regular rehearsals in the hospital gym are gearing towards the group’s debut public performance on Friday, June 29.
The choir will sing at Christ Church, in Bear Street, Barnstaple at 7pm. The group has chosen to raise money for the Chemotherapy Appeal during its first year together.
- 1 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 4 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 5 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 8 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 9 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 10 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
Angela said: “The hospital and the Northern Devon Healthcare Trust (NDHCT) are a massive part of the local community and I felt that a choir would be a good way to bring people together, represent the organisation, have fun, raise money for local charities and show what we can do as a group of people outside of work.
“We are all passionate about the choir, as well as having a unique bond of being employees of Northern Devon Healthcare Trust.”
The group will be performing at a choir and cream tea event at Mayfield House in Westward Ho! the following day and there are also plans to sing in the hospital foyer, in local supermarkets, and at a selection of other local events in the future.
The choir meets every Wednesday at 7.45pm in the level one gym and new members are always welcome.
Angela added: “Members are from all areas of the Northern Devon Healthcare Trust. If you work for the Trust, we are happy to have new members join at any time, just come along and see how it is for you – no auditions or solos required or expected.”