Hospital restrictions in place following Norovirus outbreak

North Devon District Hospital, Barnstaple

North Devon District Hospital, Barnstaple - Credit: Archant

Stay away from North Devon District Hospital if you’ve experienced symptoms, say healthcare trust.

RESTRICTIONS are in place at North Devon District Hospital following an outbreak of Norovirus – the first since November last year.

People who have experienced diarrhoea and/or vomiting in the last 48 hours are asked to stay away from the Barnstaple hospital.

Those who have been in contact with anyone who has had symptoms are also advised to stay away as a precaution.

Northern Devon Healthcare Trust said some cases of the winter vomiting bug had been confirmed today (Wednesday).


You may also want to watch:


The Trust has put extra infection control precautions in place, in accordance with its Outbreak Escalation Plan.

The individuals involved have been isolated while the two wards affected – Staples and Victoria – have been temporarily closed to admissions and discharges.

Most Read

Kate Lyons, director of operations, said: “As usual, the Trust asks hospital visitors to help us by staying away if they have experienced diarrhoea and/or vomiting in the previous 48 hours, or been in contact with anyone who has had symptoms.

“We expect restrictions to remain in place over the weekend and into next week.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter