Hospital gives babies the best start in life
Trust well on its way to UNICEF ‘baby friendly’ accreditation
NORTHERN Devon Healthcare Trust (NDHT) has taken the next step on the way to becoming a Baby Friendly accredited NHS trust.
The Trust has achieved a Certificate of Commitment, which is the first award on the Baby Friendly journey.
The UNICEF Baby Friendly Initiative (BFI) was launched in the UK in 1994. It works with the health care system to ensure a high standard of care for pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers and babies.
The BFI helps the health service to adopt best practice standards when caring for breastfeeding families. Facilities which adopt these standards can apply to be assessed and accredited as ‘Baby Friendly’, meaning that they can support parents to make informed decisions about feeding their babies.
You may also want to watch:
Sue Whitworth, senior midwife at North Devon District Hospital, said: “We are delighted to have achieved our Certificate of Commitment as it shows that we are really dedicated to becoming a Baby Friendly accredited trust.
“I would like to thank everyone who has worked so hard to get us this far and am looking forward to completing the next stage on our Baby Friendly journey.”
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Exhibition celebrates North Devon in 100 objects
NDHT is now working towards the next stage towards Baby friendly accreditation, and has a Stage One assessment scheduled for December this year.