Hospice hose pipe help from former fire fighters
Members of Retired Firefighters’ Association spend time volunteering at Children’s Hospice South West.
RETIRED fire fighters found their skills with water and hose were put to the test for a different purpose when they turned up to help out at Little Bridge House in Fremington.
The seven members of the North Devon branch of the National Association of Retired Firefighters – all local men who have retired from the service during the past 10 years – had contacted Children’s Hospice South West to offer any voluntary help they could.
When they arrived, they discovered maintenance manager Gary Hatch had a different “hose drill” for the group as he asked them to clean the care staff vehicles.
“At a recent meeting we agreed there was a need to do something useful with our retirement and put something back into the community we have served for more than 30 years,” explained group chairman Bob Prince.
You may also want to watch:
“A call was made to the hospice where it soon became apparent our skills with a jet hose would be put to the test! The lads and I all enjoyed our morning and have offered our assistance again when the call goes out.”
Gary thanked the team for their help and added: “These vehicles are used daily, sometimes on long journeys to visit the families we care for and having them cleaned so expertly means one less job for our staff of volunteers.”
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 3 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 4 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 5 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 6 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 7 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 8 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 9 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 10 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
He is now busy compiling a list of jobs for the group’s next visit…
The local branch of Retired Firefighters would welcome new members and it is open to any former uniformed of civilian UK fire service personnel. Contact Bob Prince on (01271) 328698.
Volunteers are also very welcome at the hospice – to find out more, visit www.chsw.org.uk.