Homes plan for former builders’ yard
Retirement homes on the cards for old Kingdon’s site.
PLANS to build 16 new retirement homes on the site of a former builder’s yard in South Molton have been submitted to North Devon Council.
The proposal for 10 three bedroom bungalows, four three bedroom apartments and two affordable homes on the former Kingdon’s Ltd yard in North Street has been lodged by Sunnybank Homes.
The blueprint also features a new gated private road access, parking and landscaping.
All the buildings on the 1.37-acre site would be demolished with the exception of the main office building fronting North Street, which would be converted into two affordable homes.
You may also want to watch:
A design and access statement submitted as part of the proposal said the offices had been a significant feature of the street scene for many years and their retention would reflect recognition of the role that the builders’ merchants played in the history of the town.
Kingdon’s Ltd, one of South Molton’s largest and longest established firms, ceased trading in December 2007 after nearly 60 years in the town.
- 1 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 2 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 3 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 4 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 5 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 6 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 7 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 8 Barnstaple amateur rider achieves lifelong ambition
- 9 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 10 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
The builders’ merchants’ yard in North Street, along with the Home Hardware shop in South Street, closed due to ‘commercial pressures’.