Homes plan for former builders’ yard
Retirement homes on the cards for old Kingdon’s site.
PLANS to build 16 new retirement homes on the site of a former builder’s yard in South Molton have been submitted to North Devon Council.
The proposal for 10 three bedroom bungalows, four three bedroom apartments and two affordable homes on the former Kingdon’s Ltd yard in North Street has been lodged by Sunnybank Homes.
The blueprint also features a new gated private road access, parking and landscaping.
All the buildings on the 1.37-acre site would be demolished with the exception of the main office building fronting North Street, which would be converted into two affordable homes.
You may also want to watch:
A design and access statement submitted as part of the proposal said the offices had been a significant feature of the street scene for many years and their retention would reflect recognition of the role that the builders’ merchants played in the history of the town.
Kingdon’s Ltd, one of South Molton’s largest and longest established firms, ceased trading in December 2007 after nearly 60 years in the town.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
The builders’ merchants’ yard in North Street, along with the Home Hardware shop in South Street, closed due to ‘commercial pressures’.