Holsworthy boat helps rower establish world first
SARAH Outen, who has just made history as the first woman to row the Indian ocean alone, did so in a custom-made boat built in Holsworthy. She spent 124 days rowing for up to ten hours a day to cover the 3,000 miles. During her voyage she encountered For
SARAH Outen, who has just made history as the first woman to row the Indian ocean alone, did so in a custom-made boat built in Holsworthy.
She spent 124 days rowing for up to ten hours a day to cover the 3,000 miles. During her voyage she encountered Force 9 gales, reached speeds of 11 knots, recorded in excess of 50 miles a day and was confined to the cabin for more than two days at a time due to bad weather.
"Sarah contacted me over two years ago and said she'd fallen in love with my new solo sprint design," recounts Jamie Fabrizio of Global Boat Works.
"The boat is constructed around a close cell foam core and sheathed in fibre glass inside and out. The boat consists of seven separate water tight compartments making it unsinkable." "This has certainly been tested to the limit: Sarah's capsized a couple of times in bad weather, but the boat performed exactly as we intended.
You may also want to watch:
"I have built boats for Atlantic crossings in the past, but the Indian Ocean is not to be tackled lightly. Sarah has really had to put all her effort into every mile she has rowed.
"I am extremely proud that our boat has helped Sarah to become the first solo female to cross the Indian Ocean, especially considering that there have only ever been three successful solo crossings.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 5 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 6 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 7 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park