Historic flagpole deemed for Bideford Pannier Market?
- Credit: Archant
The flagpole, taken from a quarantine ship moored in the estuary, is currently in Victoria Park in Bideford.
AN historic flagpole in Bideford could be placed in the Pannier Market, a councillor suggested yesterday (Thurs).
The wooden flagpole in Victoria Park is due to be replaced by Torridge District Council for a fibreglass one.
Bideford town councillors heard last night that the flagpole was from an historic quarantine ship, the Nymphn, which was moored in the estuary in the late 1800s.
Cllr Peter Christie said: “This flagpole is very historic and was taken from the old schooner when it was scrapped.
You may also want to watch:
“The third at the bottom has rotted but the top isn’t too bad, off the top of my head I suggested we could use it at the Port Memorial.”
After concerns an expensive health and safety report would have to be carried out, Cllr David Brenton suggested it be taken to the Pannier Market.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 8 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
“It could be put on the wall with public information boards for everyone to see,” he said.
Cllr David Howell added: “We were talking about putting information boards about Bideford up as we have a lot of information about our twin town.
“But on the other side we could have the flag pole with interpretation boards all about the town.”
The council concluded it would get more information and bring the matter back to a future meeting.