Hirst’s debt to Degas
Dear W Berry of Ilfracombe (“Mr Hirst’s vision”, Opinion, March 20), your letter exemplifies the backward-looking reactionary view of an archetypal philistine.
I’m interested in art and you’re not, Mr Berry. What does “enough is enough” mean?
I have read with increasing incredulity the objections to this sculpture based on revulsion of the pregnant female form.
I got off the bus, had to ask where I might find the AWFUL THING THEY CALL ‘VERITY’ because you have to look for it!
And there it is, in profile, nicked from Degas’s ballerina: half pretty/half scientific.
You may also want to watch:
Good in the mid-morning sunlight. We live in the wilderness. Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth, folks!
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 9 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 10 Lockdown breaker caught dealing cannabis in Barnstaple