Hirst’s debt to Degas
Dear W Berry of Ilfracombe (“Mr Hirst’s vision”, Opinion, March 20), your letter exemplifies the backward-looking reactionary view of an archetypal philistine.
I’m interested in art and you’re not, Mr Berry. What does “enough is enough” mean?
I have read with increasing incredulity the objections to this sculpture based on revulsion of the pregnant female form.
I got off the bus, had to ask where I might find the AWFUL THING THEY CALL ‘VERITY’ because you have to look for it!
And there it is, in profile, nicked from Degas’s ballerina: half pretty/half scientific.
You may also want to watch:
Good in the mid-morning sunlight. We live in the wilderness. Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth, folks!
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 3 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 6 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 7 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 8 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 9 Council leader calls Government 'incompetent' and warns of 'winter of discontent'
- 10 North Devon taxi company appeals for help with driver shortage