High flying North Devon cadets to mark historic milestone
YOUNG fliers will be marking 150 years of the Cadet Movement at a special gliding induction course being held at RMB Chivenor later this month. The North Devon-based 624 Volunteer Gliding Squadron is hosting a Cadet 150 Gliding Induction Course Weekend
YOUNG fliers will be marking 150 years of the Cadet Movement at a special gliding induction course being held at RMB Chivenor later this month.
The North Devon-based 624 Volunteer Gliding Squadron is hosting a "Cadet 150 Gliding Induction Course Weekend" on Saturday and Sunday June 26 and 27 - one of hundreds of events taking place all over the country throughout 2010 to mark the historic milestone.
During the weekend the Squadron aims to complete gliding induction courses for 150 young cadets from the Devon and Somerset Wing, the Plymouth & Cornwall Wing and the Combined Cadet Force.
The Cadet Movement - which comprises the Combined Cadet Force (CCF), the Sea Cadet Corps (SCC), the Army Cadet Force (ACF) and the Air Training Corps (ATC) - has origins dating back to 1860, when it was formed to help bolster the country's defence numbers following heavy losses in the Crimean War.
Squadron Leader Gregory North, Squadron Commanding Officer, said: "The Volunteer Staff of 624 Squadron wished to make an extraordinary effort for the benefit of affiliated cadets to mark this very special 150th anniversary.
"We aim to provide a 'hands-on' flying experience for 150 Cadets aged 13 to 18 years, many of whom will never have flown before."
- 1 Unique seaside wedding venue to put £1m into Combe Martin economy
- 2 160 traders at this year's Christmas Market in Braunton
- 3 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 4 Holsworthy link mental health centre looks set to close permanently
- 5 New recycled plastic tables installed at Victoria Park
- 6 Council forms group to tackle North Devon housing crisis
- 7 RGB's North Devon branches helping others this Christmas
- 8 Loud music man fined after breaching official order
- 9 Heddon Valley crowned top of winter walks table
- 10 North Devon MP encourages community to go 'one step greener'
To discover how to join or support the cadet movement, visit www.cadet150.org