High flying North Devon cadets to mark historic milestone
YOUNG fliers will be marking 150 years of the Cadet Movement at a special gliding induction course being held at RMB Chivenor later this month. The North Devon-based 624 Volunteer Gliding Squadron is hosting a Cadet 150 Gliding Induction Course Weekend
YOUNG fliers will be marking 150 years of the Cadet Movement at a special gliding induction course being held at RMB Chivenor later this month.
The North Devon-based 624 Volunteer Gliding Squadron is hosting a "Cadet 150 Gliding Induction Course Weekend" on Saturday and Sunday June 26 and 27 - one of hundreds of events taking place all over the country throughout 2010 to mark the historic milestone.
During the weekend the Squadron aims to complete gliding induction courses for 150 young cadets from the Devon and Somerset Wing, the Plymouth & Cornwall Wing and the Combined Cadet Force.
The Cadet Movement - which comprises the Combined Cadet Force (CCF), the Sea Cadet Corps (SCC), the Army Cadet Force (ACF) and the Air Training Corps (ATC) - has origins dating back to 1860, when it was formed to help bolster the country's defence numbers following heavy losses in the Crimean War.
You may also want to watch:
Squadron Leader Gregory North, Squadron Commanding Officer, said: "The Volunteer Staff of 624 Squadron wished to make an extraordinary effort for the benefit of affiliated cadets to mark this very special 150th anniversary.
"We aim to provide a 'hands-on' flying experience for 150 Cadets aged 13 to 18 years, many of whom will never have flown before."
- 1 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 2 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 3 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 4 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 5 Covid delays Barnstaple councillor's trial again
- 6 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 7 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 10 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
To discover how to join or support the cadet movement, visit www.cadet150.org