Heritage Week kicks off in Bideford
- Credit: Archant
Mayor’s parade kicks off week of historical celebrations in the lead up to Heritage Day on Saturday.
BIDEFORD kicked off a week of historical-themed activities throughout the town on Saturday for Heritage Week.
The Mayor’s parade left the town hall at 10am and arrived at the pannier market where Heritage Week was officially opened by Cllr Mervyn Langmead.
Pirates then enthralled the crowd with entertainment by Entertaingly Different, before the mayor and dignitaries proceeded down to the Quay.
Gig racing took place on the River Torridge as crowds gathered in the sunshine to watch and cheer.
You may also want to watch:
This week there will be a host of activities, with the Businesses of Bideford pulling out the stops to bring history to life in the town.
From stocks and live leeches to historical displays and war-time tea parties, visitors to the town will ask now where they are, but when.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 3 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 4 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 5 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 6 Times Past: Bodysnatching in the centre of Barnstaple
- 7 Camp out fundraiser Max receives gift from fallen soldier's family
- 8 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 9 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 10 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
On Saturday Bideford will celebrate it’s annual Heritage Day with a hive of activities including live jousting, medieval weaponry and falconry displays in Victoria Park.
The day will be opened by the Mayor, who will parade through the town to Victoria Park and officially open the festival at 10.15am.
There will be falconry displays at 10.30am and 1.30pm’ man to man combat at 11.15am and 2.15pm, a pirate show at 12.45pm and jousting at 3pm.
Throughout the day there will also be a chance to have a go at archery, trepanning through the history, craft events and guided heritage trail walks.
For more information on other events throughout the town visit www.bidefordheritage.co.uk.