Heritage secrets revealed in Combe Martin
THE secrets of the medieval roodscreen at Combe Martin Parish Church will be revealed during the Heritage Weekend of May 28 and 29.
Restoration and repair work on the rare 500 year-old painted screen is progressing well, with a host of fascinating discoveries coming to light.
The third annual Heritage Weekend will give visitors the chance to meet the specialist conservators, see how the skilful repairs have blended with the original work and discover the answers to question such as “Where are the two dragons?” and “How did the screen escape the puritans?”
On the Saturday meet conservators Eddie Sinclair, Cameron Stewart & Hugh Harrison from 10-11.30am or join Christine Wyer in a Paint a Saint art workshop from 11– 4pm.
On both days there are tower tours from 11am-1pm and guided church tours from 2-4pm.
You may also want to watch:
A series of photographic exhibitions will also be on display, covering the screen itself, Devon churches and North Devon caves and geology amongst a variety of topics.
The Hunting of the Earl of Rone procession will also be calling be calling in, with the junior procession visiting on Saturday at around 1pm and the seniors on Sunday at about 5pm.
- 1 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 2 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 3 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 4 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 5 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 6 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 7 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 8 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Bounce back victory for Barnstaple
For more information about Heritage Weekend, contact Liz Webb on (01271) 850349.