Helping youngsters back to work in South Molton
YOUNG unemployed people in South Molton are being given the chance to get back into work at a new vocational training centre in the town. Community interest company Excelerate South West is helping to re-engage 14 to 19-year-olds who are not already in ed
YOUNG unemployed people in South Molton are being given the chance to get back into work at a new vocational training centre in the town.
Community interest company Excelerate South West is helping to re-engage 14 to 19-year-olds who are not already in education, training and employment.
The fully functional specialist Volkswagen garage, based at the Pathfields Industrial Estate, is one of only a handful of similar organisations in the area that works with young people, schools and local outreach services in this way.
"Our motor vehicle engineering unit offers great opportunities for young people in the North Devon region," said Jon Vipond, of Excelerate.
You may also want to watch:
"We have youngsters learning in our premises most days and, although we do not permit them to work on customer vehicles, they do help on in-house workshop restoration projects.
"Excelerate aims to become the market leader in providing inclusion services through the workplace and we envisage that our business model will be used in other communities."
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 3 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 4 High Streets reopen across Torridge
- 5 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 6 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
- 7 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 8 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 9 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 10 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
The company strives to give young people access to accredited apprenticeships, work placements and jobs with local employers in the sector, as well as tailored individual education plans that lead to qualifications such as an Edexcel WorkSkills BTEC qualification.
"The training also offers young people sustainable and employable skills, confidence, independence and success," said Jon.
For more information, telephone (01769) 573683, or visit www.exceleratesouthwest.co.uk