Helping hand for affordable homes in Ilfracombe?
AT least 28 affordable homes could be delivered at the Chambercombe Bakery and Bicclescombe Nursery sites after decisions made by North Devon Council s Executive committee on Tuesday. At Chambercombe, the council is kick-starting a scheme to build 24 affo
AT least 28 affordable homes could be delivered at the Chambercombe Bakery and Bicclescombe Nursery sites after decisions made by North Devon Council's Executive committee on Tuesday.
At Chambercombe, the council is kick-starting a scheme to build 24 affordable homes by funding the planning costs up-front. This is in order to make the site more attractive to social housing providers which are struggling in the current economic climate.
Sanctuary Housing has shown an interest in the site and the aim is to provide the association with a �70,000 grant so that a planning application can be submitted.
The Bicclescombe Nursery site will now be sold on the open market after plans to work with a social housing provider fell through.
You may also want to watch:
Although the site will be sold for private development, the outline planning consent requires at least four affordable homes to be built there.
Lead Member for Housing Cllr Brian Moores said: "Ilfracombe is one of the priority areas in North Devon for providing affordable housing and these decisions will help take these important schemes forward.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 3 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 6 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 7 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 8 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 9 Council leader calls Government 'incompetent' and warns of 'winter of discontent'
- 10 Mission: Unbreakable back with a bang for 2021
"By being innovative and taking opportunities when they arise, this council has played a hand in potentially providing many Ilfracombe families with brand new, fit for purpose homes."
Ilfracombe has a high level of homes that are not in a decent state. These new homes could see families moving from unfit properties into new energy efficient homes built to a high standard, improving peoples' quality of lives and bringing regeneration to two key sites in the town.