Helping hand for affordable homes in Ilfracombe?
AT least 28 affordable homes could be delivered at the Chambercombe Bakery and Bicclescombe Nursery sites after decisions made by North Devon Council s Executive committee on Tuesday. At Chambercombe, the council is kick-starting a scheme to build 24 affo
AT least 28 affordable homes could be delivered at the Chambercombe Bakery and Bicclescombe Nursery sites after decisions made by North Devon Council's Executive committee on Tuesday.
At Chambercombe, the council is kick-starting a scheme to build 24 affordable homes by funding the planning costs up-front. This is in order to make the site more attractive to social housing providers which are struggling in the current economic climate.
Sanctuary Housing has shown an interest in the site and the aim is to provide the association with a �70,000 grant so that a planning application can be submitted.
The Bicclescombe Nursery site will now be sold on the open market after plans to work with a social housing provider fell through.
You may also want to watch:
Although the site will be sold for private development, the outline planning consent requires at least four affordable homes to be built there.
Lead Member for Housing Cllr Brian Moores said: "Ilfracombe is one of the priority areas in North Devon for providing affordable housing and these decisions will help take these important schemes forward.
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 3 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 4 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 5 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 6 Flags fly at half mast across North Devon for Prince Philip
- 7 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 8 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 9 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 10 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
"By being innovative and taking opportunities when they arise, this council has played a hand in potentially providing many Ilfracombe families with brand new, fit for purpose homes."
Ilfracombe has a high level of homes that are not in a decent state. These new homes could see families moving from unfit properties into new energy efficient homes built to a high standard, improving peoples' quality of lives and bringing regeneration to two key sites in the town.