Help for homeless
THIRTY people who would otherwise be homeless could be found somewhere to live in North Devon thanks to new funding through the nationwide Crisis awards.
Westcountry Housing has been awarded �40,000 to help homeless people find a place to live in the area.
The new project, Westcountry Smart Move, will work with and support both landlords and clients, to promote trouble-free tenancies.
It will have a range of tools, including financial incentives and active support, to help people move into tenancies and become good tenants. Landlords will have access to support and be encouraged to work towards sustainable, long-term tenancies.
Divisional Manager, Bill Allen said: “We will use the grant award to secure tenancies for 30 people who would otherwise be facing homelessness. With the award we will be able to offer some financial support to tenants and landlords to secure an initial tenancy in the private rented sector. The award will also allow a specialist worker to support both tenants and landlords to ensure that the tenancy is well maintained from both sides and that both tenant and landlord work positively to make the tenancy a long term commitment that benefits them both.”
You may also want to watch:
This local grant is part of England-wide Crisis funding awards of �2 million for 49 new projects to help single homeless people find new homes and lasting independence
It is funded by the Department of Communities and Local Government.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 7 Plan to replace old North Devon Leisure Centre with housing submitted
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Northam Murder: Expert says trail of clues link carer to the scene
- 10 A361: Crash involving car and lorry blocks Link Road near South Molton