Helicopter launched in Barnstaple police pursuit
- Credit: Archant
Late night police chase ends in Whiddon Valley after driver fails to stop.
THE police helicopter was launched to track down a driver who evaded police in Barnstaple in the early hours of this morning (Friday).
The drama began in Gorwell shortly after midnight when a VW Polo failed to stop for a marked police car in Derby Road.
The driver and an unconfirmed number of passengers then fled the car and ran off in the Whiddon Valley direction.
The helicopter joined officers in an air and ground pursuit in and around the Westacott area of the town.
You may also want to watch:
It is understood that two passengers were apprehended and although the driver was not located, he has since been identified.
A police spokesperson said the vehicle was initially thought to have been stolen although this turned out not to be the case.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
- 8 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 9 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
A 17-year-old is expected to be questioned at Barnstaple Police Station later today.