Helicopter launched in Barnstaple police pursuit
- Credit: Archant
Late night police chase ends in Whiddon Valley after driver fails to stop.
THE police helicopter was launched to track down a driver who evaded police in Barnstaple in the early hours of this morning (Friday).
The drama began in Gorwell shortly after midnight when a VW Polo failed to stop for a marked police car in Derby Road.
The driver and an unconfirmed number of passengers then fled the car and ran off in the Whiddon Valley direction.
The helicopter joined officers in an air and ground pursuit in and around the Westacott area of the town.
You may also want to watch:
It is understood that two passengers were apprehended and although the driver was not located, he has since been identified.
A police spokesperson said the vehicle was initially thought to have been stolen although this turned out not to be the case.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 6 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 7 A361 Link Road closed after three vehicle crash
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 10 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
A 17-year-old is expected to be questioned at Barnstaple Police Station later today.