Healthcare Hero winners to be announced
- Credit: Archant
Chief executive of the Northern Devon Healthcare Trust thanks those who nominated a healhcare hero.
THE Healthcare Hero awards have now closed, with some nominations receiving several votes each.
Julie Haydn-Higgins, a midwife at North Devon District Hospital, received her first nomination in November, sparking seven other people to write in.
Rebecca Edwards nominated Julie, saying she was a ‘lovely warm person’ and Daniela Burelli said Julie always gave support and advice.
Martin Padmore, a healthcare assistant at the hospital, has also received a number of nominations from different people.
You may also want to watch:
Lisa Heard said Martin was ‘caring and dedicated’, and DR M. C. Simms said: “As a fellow healthcare professional, it was fantastic to see someone who is obviously passionate about his job and providing the best care to his patients as well as support to their relatives.”
As well as nominations from the public, staff were also able to nominate their colleagues and one worker has received six votes from her team.
- 1 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 2 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 3 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 4 Covid delays Barnstaple councillor's trial again
- 5 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 6 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 7 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 8 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 9 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 10 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
Cheri Matthews, senior sister at the emergency department at NDDH, was praised for being a compassionate and caring team leader.
Former staff nurse Charlotte Turner said Cheri ‘quietly absorbs everyone else’s stresses’ and colleague Michele Whenman said she is ‘always smiling’.
Jac Kelly, chief executive of the Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust, said: “Our Healthcare Hero Awards have again proved to be a great success.
“I would like to thank the North Devon Gazette for its excellent support and coverage of the awards in recent weeks, and of course those readers who have taken the time to make a nomination.
“It has been heart-warming and humbling to read the many accounts of how our staff have gone beyond the call of duty to ensure our patients receive the best possible care.
“The awards panel will meet shortly and the winners will be announced in due course.
“While some staff will be rewarded, we know that all our staff do an excellent job and do special things every single day to enhance the lives of patients, carers and families across North Devon and beyond.”