Has MEP seen the light?
SIR - I must congratulate Giles Chichester MEP, for his letter regarding the EU s latest Directive banning conventional light bulbs. His final paragraph is the first time a senior Conservative politician has suggested that our Government should ignore an
SIR - I must congratulate Giles Chichester MEP, for his letter regarding the EU's latest Directive banning conventional light bulbs.
His final paragraph is the first time a senior Conservative politician has suggested that our Government should ignore an EU Directive, so it seems that UKIP's success in the recent elections is having an effect.
Most of us are absolutely fed up with being told what to do, by interfering and incompetent politicians, and this Directive is another good example. The consumer should be left to make their own decision which bulbs to buy, particularly when there are unresolved health issues with the new bulbs, for those with certain skin and eye conditions.
Hopefully, this is the first of many initiatives by the Conservative Party to take back control from the EU and they could start by ignoring the Common Agricultural Policy, Common Fisheries Policy, re-open the Post Offices and stop the privatisation of Royal Mail, and free business from EU regulation.
You may also want to watch:
However, the picture becomes less clear, when you discover that Giles was a member of the EU's Industry, Research & Energy Committee, one of two committees responsible for channelling Light Bulb Directive through the assembly, and he even voted for it, along with ALL the other Conservative MEPs.
With a General Election just a few months away, we need to know if Giles's comments mean that he really has 'seen the light', or if he is just 'playing to the gallery'.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 3 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 9 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
Michael Pagram, Barnstaple.