Has MEP seen the light?
SIR - I must congratulate Giles Chichester MEP, for his letter regarding the EU s latest Directive banning conventional light bulbs. His final paragraph is the first time a senior Conservative politician has suggested that our Government should ignore an
SIR - I must congratulate Giles Chichester MEP, for his letter regarding the EU's latest Directive banning conventional light bulbs.
His final paragraph is the first time a senior Conservative politician has suggested that our Government should ignore an EU Directive, so it seems that UKIP's success in the recent elections is having an effect.
Most of us are absolutely fed up with being told what to do, by interfering and incompetent politicians, and this Directive is another good example. The consumer should be left to make their own decision which bulbs to buy, particularly when there are unresolved health issues with the new bulbs, for those with certain skin and eye conditions.
Hopefully, this is the first of many initiatives by the Conservative Party to take back control from the EU and they could start by ignoring the Common Agricultural Policy, Common Fisheries Policy, re-open the Post Offices and stop the privatisation of Royal Mail, and free business from EU regulation.
You may also want to watch:
However, the picture becomes less clear, when you discover that Giles was a member of the EU's Industry, Research & Energy Committee, one of two committees responsible for channelling Light Bulb Directive through the assembly, and he even voted for it, along with ALL the other Conservative MEPs.
With a General Election just a few months away, we need to know if Giles's comments mean that he really has 'seen the light', or if he is just 'playing to the gallery'.
- 1 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 2 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 3 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 8 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 9 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 10 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
Michael Pagram, Barnstaple.