Halwill house severely damaged by fire
Occupants escape in late night drama
OCCUPANTS escaped from a blazing house at Halwill Junction late last night (Monday). Two people were taken to hospital by ambulance suffering from smoke inhalation.
Fire crews from Holsworthy, Hatherleigh and Okehampton as well as support from Ilfracombe and the Barnstaple water bowser were called in.
But they couldn’t stop the fire, which started on the first floor of the semi-detached house, from causing 70 per cent damage to the property and severe damage to a domestic garage. A neighbouring house was also affected by smoke and heat.
Fire fighters wore breathing apparatus to tackle the fire, but had to withdraw when the ridge of the roof collapsed.
You may also want to watch:
It is believed the cause of the outbreak was accidental.
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 3 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 4 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 5 Why it‘s important to shop local in North Devon post-lockdown
- 6 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
- 7 MP nominates North Devon champions for Levelling Up Awards
- 8 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 9 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 10 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack