Halwill house severely damaged by fire
Occupants escape in late night drama
OCCUPANTS escaped from a blazing house at Halwill Junction late last night (Monday). Two people were taken to hospital by ambulance suffering from smoke inhalation.
Fire crews from Holsworthy, Hatherleigh and Okehampton as well as support from Ilfracombe and the Barnstaple water bowser were called in.
But they couldn’t stop the fire, which started on the first floor of the semi-detached house, from causing 70 per cent damage to the property and severe damage to a domestic garage. A neighbouring house was also affected by smoke and heat.
Fire fighters wore breathing apparatus to tackle the fire, but had to withdraw when the ridge of the roof collapsed.
You may also want to watch:
It is believed the cause of the outbreak was accidental.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 6 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 7 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened