OCCUPANTS escaped from a blazing house at Halwill Junction late last night (Monday). Two people were taken to hospital by ambulance suffering from smoke inhalation. Fire crews from Holsworthy, Hatherleigh and Okehampton as well as support from Ilfracombe and the Barnstaple water bowser were called in. But they couldnt stop the fire, which started on the first floor of the semi-detached house, from causing 70 per cent damage to the property and severe damage to a domestic garage. A neighbouring house was also affected by smoke and heat. Fire fighters wore breathing apparatus to tackle the fire, but had to withdraw when the ridge of the roof collapsed. It is believed the cause of the outbreak was accidental.