Half time shout for Ilfracombe RNLI crew
England vs Italy interrupted by emergency call out for lifeboat volunteers.
THE volunteer crew of Ilfracombe lifeboat were saved by their pagers during England’s Euro 2012 quarter final match.
As half time approached, the tension was broken by an emergency call out to the aid of a disabled motor sailor yacht adrift in the channel.
The Lambda Mu had sailed to Ilfracombe but due to an overheating engine was unable to enter the harbour and her crew asked for assistance.
The all weather lifeboat Spirit of Derbyshire was underway within 12 minutes, all thought of England versus Italy forgotten.
But the strong tide had already carried the yacht six miles to the east of Ilfracombe when the lifeboat arrived and two crew members were soon on board to assist with rigging a tow line and the vessel was towed back to Ilfracombe.
Arriving at 10.45pm – after the fateful penalty shootout – the Lambda Mu was moored safely but the tide was too high to recover the lifeboat, so crew and shore crew returned later, finally getting home at 1.45am.
- 1 Christmas Drive-In Cinema coming to Barnstaple
- 2 Indecent exposure near Barnstaple park under investigation
- 3 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 4 OPINION: Realising the full potential of the Celtic Sea - Selaine Saxby
- 5 Hip-hop comes to Torrington Dental Practice
- 6 Property of the Week: Hanson Park - Northam
- 7 OPINION: Myth busting the Green Lanes purchase - David Worden
- 8 Hero soldier auctioning medals to provide ‘best opportunities’ for his children
- 9 Bring the children to see Santa at Chivenor Christmas Craft Market
- 10 Get dressed up to Race the Reindeer in Bideford this Christmas