Gymnasts join the circus
YOUNG North Devon gymnasts joined the circus for a day when they were given the opportunity to perform in the big top of Paulo’s Circus Americano in Victoria Park, Bideford, on Sunday.
The youngsters put on a 15-minute show and were well received.
Charles Moore, chairman of the North Devon Display Gymnastics Club, said it all began when some of them went to the circus and were taken by the skills and techniques of the trapeze artist and how some of this might fit into gymnastics.
After discussion with the circus they were invited to perform and their coaches and display team were delighted to do so.
“This is gymnastics, the oldest form of sport, teaming up with the circus, which is the oldest form of entertainment,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
The North Devon Display Gymnastics Club has a membership of 300 young people aged from one to 18 years and fully qualified coaches, said Mr Moore. They did displays and competitions, but were there for everyone to enjoy the sport and the training, not just for elite performers.
The club has a main base at Kingsley School in Bideford and also has venues in Torrington, Barnstaple and Holsworthy.
- 1 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 2 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 3 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 4 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 5 Barnstaple Pannier Market support return of Barnstaple In Bloom
- 6 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 7 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 8 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 9 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 10 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
Paulo’s Circus has now moved on to Bude, where it will be entertaining until June 5, and the young gymnasts will also be performing there at 2pm this Saturday.