Gymnasts join the circus
YOUNG North Devon gymnasts joined the circus for a day when they were given the opportunity to perform in the big top of Paulo’s Circus Americano in Victoria Park, Bideford, on Sunday.
The youngsters put on a 15-minute show and were well received.
Charles Moore, chairman of the North Devon Display Gymnastics Club, said it all began when some of them went to the circus and were taken by the skills and techniques of the trapeze artist and how some of this might fit into gymnastics.
After discussion with the circus they were invited to perform and their coaches and display team were delighted to do so.
“This is gymnastics, the oldest form of sport, teaming up with the circus, which is the oldest form of entertainment,” he said.
The North Devon Display Gymnastics Club has a membership of 300 young people aged from one to 18 years and fully qualified coaches, said Mr Moore. They did displays and competitions, but were there for everyone to enjoy the sport and the training, not just for elite performers.
The club has a main base at Kingsley School in Bideford and also has venues in Torrington, Barnstaple and Holsworthy.
- 1 Two vehicle crash blocks Link Road near Barnstaple
- 2 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
- 3 South Molton's top 10 rating for pannier market
- 4 Covid outbreaks in Devon’s care homes at highest level since pandemic began
- 5 Remembering much-loved and once-heaving Ilfracombe train station
- 6 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 7 Holiday firm's New Year gift for hospice
- 8 How your legacy can make a difference to our future
- 9 2021 was breakthrough year for Cancer and Wellbeing Fern Centre
- 10 Prize photography competition open for entries
Paulo’s Circus has now moved on to Bude, where it will be entertaining until June 5, and the young gymnasts will also be performing there at 2pm this Saturday.