Guided cycle rides on Tarka Trail
A SERIES of guided cycle rides will be held in and around Devon s cycle hub towns throughout this summer. The leisure rides, organised by Devon County Council, will be held in all five hub towns through July and August. The first two events start on Sat
A SERIES of guided cycle rides will be held in and around Devon's cycle hub towns throughout this summer.
The leisure rides, organised by Devon County Council, will be held in all five hub towns through July and August.
The first two events start on Saturday from 3pm to 5pm, with routes taking in 13 miles of the Tarka Trail in Barnstaple, after starting at Barnstaple Railway Station, and another covering eight miles around Newton Abbot, setting off from the entrance to Decoy Park.
All of the guided rides will be led by National Standard Qualified Instructors and will take around one and a half to two hours.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation, said: "These leisure rides are a good opportunity for people to enjoy a cycle in our five hub towns, whether they are keen cyclists, new to cycling or getting re-acquainted with their bike after leaving it in the shed for years.
"We saw how the recent cycle fun days in these towns attracted a range of people to have a go at cycling. The fact that these rides are with a group, led by guided instructors, can help those who may otherwise not be confident enough to tackle a cycle on their own, and hopefully it will encourage people to get out on their bikes more regularly."
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 6 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 7 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 8 Bideford's Millbrook Dairy awarded its first star at Great Taste Awards
- 9 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 10 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
There is no need to book to join any of the rides. Simply turn up at the designated meeting point at the specified time and date. The list of dates and times can be found on flyers which are available in local libraries, bike shops or online at www.cycledevon.info.
Bike hire is available, free of charge, but this must be booked in advance by calling 0845 155 1004 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. All children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
The rides are part of Devon County Council's campaign to promote leisure cycling. The County Council has been awarded a �2 million grant from Cycling England to see if leisure cycling encourages more people to cycle more often.
Guided rides in Barnstaple: Meeting Point: Outside the main entrance of Barnstaple Railway Station
Saturday 17th July 15:00 - 17:00
Wednesday 4th August 18:00 - 20:00
Saturday 21st August 15:00 - 17:00
Saturday 24th July 15:00 - 17:00
Wednesday 11th August 18:00 - 20:00
Saturday 28th August 15:00 - 17:00