Gritters out in force in North Devon tonight
- Credit: Getty Images/Hemera
Temperatures are forecast to drop this evening with a yellow weather warning for ice in place across North Devon.
MOTORISTS are being warned to look out for ice on the roads this evening (Mon) and overnight as temperatures are set to drop.
Gritters will be heading out on the roads tonight with road temperatures expected to drop below freezing.
A yellow weather warning for ice has been issued by the Met Office from 5pm this evening until 10am on Tuesday.
A chief forecaster said: “Following rain or showers on Monday, clearing skies will allow road temperatures to fall below freezing quite widely on Monday evening and night, leading to icy stretches on untreated surfaces which will last well into Tuesday morning.”
You may also want to watch:
With scattered showers continuing until about midnight, surface water and run-off may pose problems.
Motorists are being reminded to travel with care, particularly on minor routes.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 9 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 10 Lockdown breaker caught dealing cannabis in Barnstaple
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Highway Management and Flood Prevention, said: “Temperatures are falling much lower this evening and won’t rise until the morning rush hour is underway, so we are urging everyone to take extreme care and allow extra time for your journey.
“Following a day of showers, and the possibility of slushy wintry showers on higher ground later, driving conditions may be difficult.
“There may well be icy patches, particularly on minor routes which aren’t treated.”