Gritter lorry skids on black ice
Lorry plunges 30ft in icy conditions at Arlington
A GRITTER lorry driver suffered a broken leg after his vehicle skidded on black ice near Arlington in the early hours of Saturday morning.
The man had to be cut free by firefighters after his lorry plunged 30ft over an embankment on the A39 at around 7.30am.
Crews from Barnstaple and Combe Martin Alarm were scrambled after the alarm was raised by a postman who was making deliveries in the area at the time.
They were joined by colleagues from Ilfracombe, who used hydraulic cutting equipment, small tools, short extension ladder and shacks to release the casualty.
You may also want to watch:
He was airlifted to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, where his condition is described as “comfortable”.
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 3 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 4 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 5 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 6 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 7 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 8 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 9 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 10 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality