Green school flies the flag
ORCHARD Vale School in Barnstaple can now fly the Eco-Schools Green Flag with pride.
The school was built 10 years ago with an ethos of sustainability and eco-awareness and the staff and pupils have since worked hard to ensure they continue to maintain the high standards they set themselves.
Pupils are good at turning off lights and standbys and lowering the radiator thermostats. They are brilliant at recycling, sorting, saving and re-using. They litter pick, compost and grow their own vegetables.
They will have been seen out and about litter picking through the roads of Whiddon Valley in their green Eco T shirts, with their litter grabbers and bin bags – or on their allotment at Sunnybank, Victoria Road, where they work hard to grow some of their own food from seed.
The children have also made presentations to Barnstaple Town Council at the launch of their Green Team, spoken up at the Environmental Schools’ Forums held at the Guild Hall and taken part in the annual Tidy Up Our Town events.
You may also want to watch:
All this work has now been recognised and following a visit from two Eco Schools inspectors last week, a letter of confirmation has now been received from Eco-Schools.
The inspectors said: “This school thoroughly deserves a Green Flag, as well as being designed and built as a sustainable building, the ethos of the school is completely geared to being as environmental as possible. Green ideas and projects are present everywhere and the school has clearly been engaged with the wider community to help promote and support their efforts. On almost every level, this school is an outstanding example of what an Eco-School should be like. The assessor thoroughly enjoyed their visit to your very pleasant school and would like to recommend your school as a case study for schools looking to start on the Eco School journey.”
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 4 Candidates for police and crime commissioner have their say
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 7 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 8 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 9 Ilfracombe Drive-In Cinema returns this May
- 10 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'