Green Man draws the crowds to Pilton
CROWDS thronged Pilton Street on Saturday as the annual Green Man Festival returned with an explosion of colour and entertainment. It began with a grand parade of costumed characters, including the irrepressible Green Man – the pagan symbol of nature and
CROWDS thronged Pilton Street on Saturday as the annual Green Man Festival returned with an explosion of colour and entertainment.
It began with a grand parade of costumed characters, including the irrepressible Green Man - the pagan symbol of nature and fertility - from The Square in Barnstaple, along the High Street to Pilton.
Accompanied by music and drums the procession made its way to Pilton House, where a pageant was performed.
You may also want to watch:
It is a dramatic representation of how the Green Man finally met the church as embodied by The Pilton Prior, with ancient beliefs incorporated into Christian ideology.
A wide cast of characters including the Prior's red-garb followers, plenty of folks in green of course and the Green Man's ancient enemy winter.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 3 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 4 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 5 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 6 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 7 Veterans Charity to host Charity Car Wash at Barnstaple HQ
- 8 Grand National: ones to watch in 'race that stops a nation'
- 9 Date set for Barnstaple Pannier Market reopening
- 10 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
The pageant is performed twice during the day, but there was plenty to seen and do before, after and in between, with stalls fairground rides and stalls packed into the main street.
Three stages hosted a wide variety of music throughout the day to suit all ages and tastes, with a veritable who's who of local bands and musicians.
See more Pilton Green Man Day pictures at www.northdevongazette.co.uk.