Green light for sharing recycling services with Mid Devon
NORTH Devon will share its waste and recycling services with Mid Devon Council, it has been announced. The executive of North Devon Council approved plans yesterday (Tuesday) to shared waste management arrangements with the neighbouring council. Mid Devon
NORTH Devon will share its waste and recycling services with Mid Devon Council, it has been announced.
The executive of North Devon Council approved plans yesterday (Tuesday) to shared waste management arrangements with the neighbouring council.
Mid Devon's Gary Pilling manage the service and work between both councils for the next 12 months, taking over from North Devon manager Martin Coles, who retries this month.
"Both councils need to make significant cost savings over the next few years," said North Devon Council Leader, Councillor Des Brailey.
You may also want to watch:
"One way to help address this is to share a head of service and streamline management, rather than reduce front line services.
"It also opens up opportunities in the future to work more closely with Mid Devon District Council, especially at our new Brynsworthy Environment Centre, which should be completed in the summer.
- 1 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 2 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 3 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 4 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 5 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 8 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 9 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 10 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
"Gary Pilling brings with him a wealth of experience and knowledge in waste and recycling, and we look forward to working with him."
Councillor Ray Radford at Mid Devon added: "This arrangement is exactly the kind of thing we should be doing to share expertise and reduce overheads while protecting frontline services.
"I've worked with Gary for many years and I know he will rise to this new challenge."
Gary will start working between both councils immediately, overseeing North Devon's waste and recycling services, which includes street cleaning.