Green light for £1.2m school expansion
- Credit: Archant
Newport school building programme set to start this summer.
A £1.2million expansion project at Newport Community School Primary Academy is set to start in the summer.
The Barnstaple school already has planning permission to demolish temporary classrooms and build six new teaching rooms that will form part of the main body of the school.
A successful funding bid to the Education Funding Agency will now mean construction work can start within months.
A 12-month build programme will also provide a new Communication and Interaction Resource Base (CAIRB); a meting room; teaching intervention room; as well as a shared space for developing the early years curriculum.
You may also want to watch:
The school was built in the mid 1980s and originally had capacity for up to 250 pupils.
Expansion during the last 25 years has increased capacity to 500 pupils and the new permanent building will help the school to cope with the higher pupil numbers.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 5 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 8 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 9 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
Head teacher Andy Cotton said: “The academy has a clear plan forward and we hope to keep major disruption down to a minimum, especially for pupils in their final years.”