Join the big cycle at Green Lanes to raise money for a defibrillator
- Credit: Archant
Barnstaple shoppers are being urged to put in a little pedal time tomorrow (Saturday, July 20) and help raise money for a life-saving defibrillator at Green Lanes.
Staff are busy cycling in the middle of the shopping centre today (Friday) and tomorrow in a bid to raise £1,000 to buy the defib plus privacy screens.
Wayne Stevens, a member of the security staff, came up with the idea for the fundraiser after a man collapsed in the High Street last month and sadly passed away.
A passer-by rushed in and asked if the centre had a defibrillator, but unfortunately it didn't.
Wayne decided he did not want that situation to occur again and teamed up with his mum Jackie and administrator Liz Howells to stage the cycle fundraiser.
You may also want to watch:
Staff are taking turns but people passing by are also being asked to put a mile or two on the clock and help reach the 228 mile target, the distance to Hertfordshire - pun intended.
Sparkle & Co are also in attendance and are providing face decorations and temporary tattoos in return for a donation.
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 3 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 4 Holidaycottages.co.uk celebrates launch of new office in Braunton
- 5 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
- 6 Little Leo’s big challenge for Children’s Hospice South West
- 7 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 8 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 9 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 10 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
Plus there is a grand raffle with numerous prizes donated by most of the centre shops as well as several along the High Street.
Wayne said as long as they could hit their target total, it was hoped to get the new defibrillator in place as soon as possible.