Fire crews were called to Graylings fish and chip shop at Fremington last night (Sunday).

Fire fighters from Barnstaple and Bideford found the business full of smoke when they arrived and donned breathing apparatus to enter the premises.

The fire was found to be in a waste bin, which was removed, and fans were used to ventilate the premises.

The cause of the fire was accidental.

Sandra Grayling said there had been no real fire and the shop would be open as normal today, from noon to 9pm, though the eat-in area is currently closed.

She added: “It was a real shock when we heard the news last night but thankfully there was no actual fire .

“It was a batter scraps bin that was smouldering and caused a lot of smoke damage. We have discovered this has caused similar problems in other shops and we are now going to review our practices to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

“A really big thank you to the brilliant fire service who responded so efficiently last night, and also for everyone’s concern and well wishes. I would also like to thank members of our staff who came in early today, and some on their day off, to help us clear up.”