Grant for Shebbear Community School
SHEBBEAR Community School has been awarded a grant of more than �3,300 from Britannia, part of The Co-operative Financial Services (CFS), to develop its school-wide financial fortnight initiative. The money, donated by Britannia s charitable Foundation, w
SHEBBEAR Community School has been awarded a grant of more than �3,300 from Britannia, part of The Co-operative Financial Services (CFS), to develop its school-wide financial fortnight initiative.
The money, donated by Britannia's charitable Foundation, will help build knowledge and understanding of business, finance, employment opportunities and numeracy - bringing the subjects alive for the school's 4-11 year-olds.
Lois Gough, maths co-ordinator at the school, said: "We are delighted with the support from Britannia.
"The whole school will be involved in 'financial fortnight', it will involve the older children planning and running a small store at our summer fair and, through real-life experiences, will help to build confidence and skills with numbers.
You may also want to watch:
"We are purchasing a play-shop with some of the money which the children will use for role-play during lessons and break-times. Additionally, coin-based playground markings will be added to the school grounds.
"By involving members of the local business community - like Britannia and, Mr. Horwell from the local village shop - we can make our children more aware of the financial world around them. Increasing awareness of future career opportunities and developing greater understanding of the need for financial capability in today's society.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 3 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 4 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 5 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 6 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 7 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 8 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
- 9 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 10 Grand National: ones to watch in 'race that stops a nation'