Graffiti is spot on
- Credit: Archant
So what if Pooh Bear, Owl and Piglet lose their woods? Let them eat burgers!
The graffiti objecting to the development of Atlantic Park is spot on, and begs the question, does Bideford need a drive-thru McDonald’s, a chain hotel and a Brewers Fayre?
There are pubs standing empty in Bideford and surrounding areas, a large hotel which is boarded up, and a McDonald’s at the industrial estate at Roundswell which is surrounded by failed megastores.
The last thing we need is to concrete over more of North Devon and see Bideford decline further. On the other hand, the proposal for the wharves which are right at the heart of Bideford is a move in the right direction. This site, which has become an eyesore to visitors despite the best efforts of the Friends of the Kathleen and May, as consultants and schemes have come and gone over the past 10 years, does not contain woods and house wildlife.
The development hopefully will “pump new life and vitality” into the town, as the Chamber of Commerce hopes.
You may also want to watch:
It also offers the chance to celebrate the other history of Bideford – not the fancy dress of Sir Walter Raleigh, but the working history of the paint mines, the shipbuilding and the railways which once thrived along the east side of town.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 3 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 7 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 8 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 9 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 10 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village