Graffiti is spot on
- Credit: Archant
So what if Pooh Bear, Owl and Piglet lose their woods? Let them eat burgers!
The graffiti objecting to the development of Atlantic Park is spot on, and begs the question, does Bideford need a drive-thru McDonald’s, a chain hotel and a Brewers Fayre?
There are pubs standing empty in Bideford and surrounding areas, a large hotel which is boarded up, and a McDonald’s at the industrial estate at Roundswell which is surrounded by failed megastores.
The last thing we need is to concrete over more of North Devon and see Bideford decline further. On the other hand, the proposal for the wharves which are right at the heart of Bideford is a move in the right direction. This site, which has become an eyesore to visitors despite the best efforts of the Friends of the Kathleen and May, as consultants and schemes have come and gone over the past 10 years, does not contain woods and house wildlife.
The development hopefully will “pump new life and vitality” into the town, as the Chamber of Commerce hopes.
You may also want to watch:
It also offers the chance to celebrate the other history of Bideford – not the fancy dress of Sir Walter Raleigh, but the working history of the paint mines, the shipbuilding and the railways which once thrived along the east side of town.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 10 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar