Government platitudes over North Devon College
THE Government has confirmed that it will not bail out the Learning Skills Council over the college funding shambles in the near future, according to North Devon MP Nick Harvey. Last month, North Devon College learned that it had lost its bid for Governme
THE Government has confirmed that it will not bail out the Learning Skills Council over the college funding shambles in the near future, according to North Devon MP Nick Harvey.
Last month, North Devon College learned that it had lost its bid for Government cash to build a new �125 million campus in the centre of Barnstaple.
Today (Friday), Mr Harvey said he had been officially notified by the Minister of State that there would be "no further movement on this issue".
In stating the Government's position, Kevin Brennan, Minister of State for Further Education, Skills, Apprenticeships and consumer Affairs, told Mr Harvey: "I know that North Devon College, like many other colleges up and down the country with similar good projects, will be disappointed.
You may also want to watch:
"I can assure you that the process used by the LSC to select projects which are to proceed in the coming months was based on rigorous and fair criteria.
"Whilst we don't anticipate being able to give final approval to any further projects in the immediate future, I would like to reiterate that the Government remains committed to the further education capital investment programme."
- 1 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 2 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 3 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 4 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 5 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 6 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 7 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
- 8 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
- 9 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 10 Covid-19: Follow the spirit of lockdown says police chief
Mr Harvey said: "Regardless of Government apologies this whole affair has left a bad taste and there is no hiding the fact that those projects selected to go ahead are in Labour areas.
"Despite its promise of commitment, ultimately the Government is offering little other than support for private finance initiatives and borrowing, which are highly unlikely to meet total funding requirements.