Government must pay for beach clean-up, says North Devon MP
THE Government must pay for any further work to clean up beaches, says North Devon MP Nick Harvey. He was commenting on a Government statement that it plans a beach clean-up following a European report on the state of Britain s beaches. Instow and Comb
THE Government must pay for any further work to clean up beaches, says North Devon MP Nick Harvey.
He was commenting on a Government statement that it plans a beach clean-up following a European report on the state of Britain's beaches.
Instow and Combe Martin have been cited as having below standard bathing water quality.
Mr Harvey said: "Devon enjoys some spectacular coastline and I welcome the Government's interest in bringing all our region's beaches to the same high standard.
You may also want to watch:
"However, I hope these efforts will be funded by the Government and that it won't fall to the local people to pay through a further hike in water prices.
"Customers in the South West already pay the highest water rates in the country and should not have to stump up any more to enjoy the region's beaches.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 8 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 9 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 10 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley