Government must pay for beach clean-up, says North Devon MP
THE Government must pay for any further work to clean up beaches, says North Devon MP Nick Harvey. He was commenting on a Government statement that it plans a beach clean-up following a European report on the state of Britain s beaches. Instow and Comb
THE Government must pay for any further work to clean up beaches, says North Devon MP Nick Harvey.
He was commenting on a Government statement that it plans a beach clean-up following a European report on the state of Britain's beaches.
Instow and Combe Martin have been cited as having below standard bathing water quality.
Mr Harvey said: "Devon enjoys some spectacular coastline and I welcome the Government's interest in bringing all our region's beaches to the same high standard.
You may also want to watch:
"However, I hope these efforts will be funded by the Government and that it won't fall to the local people to pay through a further hike in water prices.
"Customers in the South West already pay the highest water rates in the country and should not have to stump up any more to enjoy the region's beaches.
- 1 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 2 Schizophrenic mugger sent to mental unit after Barnstaple robbery
- 3 Search for missing Ilfracombe woman Hannah Peacock continues
- 4 Crooked party leader with ties to Bideford was a serial conman
- 5 The boy in the tent Max Woosey receives prestigious award
- 6 Old Tannery in South Molton to be turned into new homes
- 7 Drug driver banned after crashing during chase through North Devon
- 8 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 9 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 10 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple