Gorse fire threatened thatched cottage
Fire fighters battle to contain blaze
SIX fire appliances were sent to deal with a gorse fire in North Devon last night (Tuesday) which at one time threatened to engulf a thatched cottage.
Initially, one appliance from Bideford went to moorland at Powlers Piece, near Bradworhy, where they found a large amount of gorse alight.
A second Bideford appliance was called and the crews reported a fire front of approximately half-a-mile.
A third appliance came from Torrington, but the fire was spreading near a thatched cottage and three more appliances, from Appledore, Holsworthy and Hartland, along with the incident command unit and support pump from Ilfracombe, were called in.
You may also want to watch:
Using beaters and a hose reel jet, the fire fighters managed to stop the blaze 50 metres from the cottage and the incident was dealt with by 11pm. At its height, the fire covered approximately five hectares of the moor.
- 1 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 2 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 3 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 4 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 5 Barnstaple Enterprise Hub 'Node' launches to support local businesses
- 6 Cook book to help in Afghanistan produced in South Molton
- 7 Holsworthy solicitor praised by guide to UK’s top lawyers
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 10 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs