Good Samaritans come to rescue of choking child
- Credit: Archant
North Devon family says thank you to strangers who stopped to help young boy choking on roadside.
A North Devon family has said a huge thank-you to kind strangers who stopped to save a young boy from choking.
Jay Greenwood, seven, was in the car on his way home from a day out on Friday when a sweet became stuck in his throat.
His mum, Mari Greenwood, said Jay had been talking to her happily when he suddenly went silent.
“I saw he wasn’t breathing and I just went into a blind panic,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“I worked in a hospital for years but I just completely blanked; I thought I was going to pass out with the shock.”
Mari managed to flag down passing motorists by Tapeley Park in Instow, and one lady performed an abdominal thrust to dislodge the sweet.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 4 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 5 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 6 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 7 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 8 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 9 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 10 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
Mari said: “She told me a young relative of hers had recently choked too and she had just learnt first aid skills a few days beforehand.
“I thought, what are the chances that someone who knew what to do happened to be passing by that very moment?
“Several workmen also stopped and were so supportive, they calmed me right down.”
Now Mari said she is keen to teach Jay, who has recovered completely, basic first aid skills.
She also wants to run first aid courses for parents, and said: “It made me realise I’ve got to get updated on first aid.
“It’s so important; you never think it will happen to you.”
Mari has been in contact with first aid training company Medicare South West to discuss setting up some courses.
She said: “If just one parent reads this and decides to get training, that would be great.”
For more information, visit www.medicaresw.co.uk