Golf day holes 13k for chemo appeal
Saunton event ranks high on fund-raisers’ leaderboard
A NORTH Devon golf club has made the fund-raising “leaderboard” with a massive contribution towards an appeal to build a new chemotherapy unit at North Devon District Hospital.
Saunton Golf Club raised more than �13,000 for the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal at a charity golf day held last month.
The Stableford competition, played under blue skies on the club’s immaculate Championship East course, featured 75 players and was supported by more than 40 golf club suppliers and local businesses.
Co-organiser Colin Maw said the success of the event had exceeded expectations: “It was a brilliant day, we couldn’t have asked for better,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“So many local firms supported the event and every tee was sponsored. Saunton Golf Club gave us the East course for nothing and a raffle table was packed full of prizes and raised �750.”
The competition was won by threesome James Denton-Powell and Ian and Ken Buchanan.
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 3 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 4 Holidaycottages.co.uk celebrates launch of new office in Braunton
- 5 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
- 6 Little Leo’s big challenge for Children’s Hospice South West
- 7 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 8 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 9 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 10 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
Mr Maw and fellow club member John Davis and assistant secretary Di Willis presented a cheque for �13,527 to consultant Katie Cross, the hospital’s director of cancer services, and nurse Sharon Newcombe.
Katie Cross said: “We thank all those that took part in this golf day to raise vital funds towards our Chemotherapy Appeal.
“This fantastic amount will help us get closer to our target.”