Golf day holes 13k for chemo appeal
Saunton event ranks high on fund-raisers’ leaderboard
A NORTH Devon golf club has made the fund-raising “leaderboard” with a massive contribution towards an appeal to build a new chemotherapy unit at North Devon District Hospital.
Saunton Golf Club raised more than �13,000 for the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal at a charity golf day held last month.
The Stableford competition, played under blue skies on the club’s immaculate Championship East course, featured 75 players and was supported by more than 40 golf club suppliers and local businesses.
Co-organiser Colin Maw said the success of the event had exceeded expectations: “It was a brilliant day, we couldn’t have asked for better,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“So many local firms supported the event and every tee was sponsored. Saunton Golf Club gave us the East course for nothing and a raffle table was packed full of prizes and raised �750.”
The competition was won by threesome James Denton-Powell and Ian and Ken Buchanan.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 6 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 7 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising
Mr Maw and fellow club member John Davis and assistant secretary Di Willis presented a cheque for �13,527 to consultant Katie Cross, the hospital’s director of cancer services, and nurse Sharon Newcombe.
Katie Cross said: “We thank all those that took part in this golf day to raise vital funds towards our Chemotherapy Appeal.
“This fantastic amount will help us get closer to our target.”