Golf day holes 13k for chemo appeal
Saunton event ranks high on fund-raisers’ leaderboard
A NORTH Devon golf club has made the fund-raising “leaderboard” with a massive contribution towards an appeal to build a new chemotherapy unit at North Devon District Hospital.
Saunton Golf Club raised more than �13,000 for the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal at a charity golf day held last month.
The Stableford competition, played under blue skies on the club’s immaculate Championship East course, featured 75 players and was supported by more than 40 golf club suppliers and local businesses.
Co-organiser Colin Maw said the success of the event had exceeded expectations: “It was a brilliant day, we couldn’t have asked for better,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“So many local firms supported the event and every tee was sponsored. Saunton Golf Club gave us the East course for nothing and a raffle table was packed full of prizes and raised �750.”
The competition was won by threesome James Denton-Powell and Ian and Ken Buchanan.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
Mr Maw and fellow club member John Davis and assistant secretary Di Willis presented a cheque for �13,527 to consultant Katie Cross, the hospital’s director of cancer services, and nurse Sharon Newcombe.
Katie Cross said: “We thank all those that took part in this golf day to raise vital funds towards our Chemotherapy Appeal.
“This fantastic amount will help us get closer to our target.”