Golden haul for North Devon at tourism awards
Region earns a variety of honours at annual Devon Tourism Awards ceremony.
NORTH Devon attractions and businesses have scooped a haul of gongs at the annual Devon Tourism Awards last night (Thursady).
A glittering evening at Saunton Sands Hotel, presided over by Devon presenter Judi Spiers saw Woolacombe and Mortehoe TIC named the best in the county after winning gold in the Tourist Information category.
Rock and Rapid Adventures on South Molton also climbed ahead of the rest to take gold in the Tourism Activity, Sport and Experience of the Year section, which had two North Devon winners, with Calvert Trust Exmoor winning bronze.
There was cause for celebration at Exmoor Zoo near Bratton Fleming, which won gold for Visitor Attraction of the Year, sharing the top podium with the Royal Albert Memorial Museum and Art Gallery in Exeter.
You may also want to watch:
“We are over the moon we were put up for the award and being joint gold winner is quite a privilege,” said Tina Rowtcliff at the zoo.
“we would not have been able to do it without all the visitors who came in and supported us through the horrendous summer weather.”
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 7 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 8 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
Westward Living holiday cottages at Westward Ho! also took gold for Self Catering Establishment of the Year.
Northcote Manor Country Hotel picked up two silver awards in the Hotel of the Year plus the Taste of the West categories.
The Big Sheep Show Team were presented with silver for the Outstanding Customer Service Award, while the Devon stage of the Tour of Britain won silver for the Tourism Event of the Year.
Award winners will be entered into the South West Tourism Excellence Awards in February, with a chance of contesting the National Visit England Awards later next year.
The Devon Tourism Awards are managed by Services for Tourism Ltd, working alongside the Devon Tourism Partnership.